Using an iPad for real, part 3 – Apps
- My trials and tribulations using an iPad for work… the basic setup of my iPad for real work.
Before I attempt to start ‘real work’ as an e-learning professional on my iPad (understanding how viable it is to use instead of a laptop) I figured I would run through the applications setup.
As I’m using multiple Apple computers and an iPhone I figured it would be easiest to stay within that eco-system (and using LibreOffice on iPad is a bit of a non-starter still). So, let’s setup the iPad Apps to integrate well with my iPhone, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Mini.
- Mail – this is no problem, and in fact many people apparently prefer the iPad Mail application to the desktop version.
- Office – I’ll stick with Apple Pages, Numbers, and Keynote (although not as well featured as the desktop versions). I’m not a huge Google fan, although I’m sure using Google apps would be a workable equivalent for those who are.
- Apple Notes, Calendar, Contacts – all good 🙂
- Facebook and Facebook Messenger (not sure how much these are productive or distractions/noise?)
- Twitter (see comments above)
- WordPress – primarily for this site of course
- Moodle App – no surprises there! But will it be as good as just using a browser on a large iPad screen anyway?
- AWS (Amazon Web Services) – for accessing our Moodle sites
- Finally, as well as Apple’s Safari browser I’ll be using Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome.
There’s a couple of other Apps too, but they are specific to my work – e.g. accounting and banking systems.
Right now I can see one main gap, and a couple of new possibilities. First, I need to find a really simple image editor – something that can just crop and resize images – which is all I need most of the time.
New things to investigate are now….
- Dictation – will this be easy, advantageous, and fast?
- Gestures – training myself in the most effective ways to swipe etc. on the iPad.
- Writing – can I use the Apple Pencil to hand write, and will that be better than using the onscreen keyboard, or the keyboard case?
More reflections on this experiment next month. But I have heard the upcoming iPadOS is going to help take the iPad to a new level of professional performance, so this might be very good timing 🙂
- Moodle 4.0 – 15th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 other highlights – 14th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 Accessibility – 9th May 2022