Did you know it’s possible to add various types of new fields to users profiles?A number of input types are available such as text input, text area, check box, and drop down menu items.
We use additional profile fields on our MoodleBites online training site (http://www.moodlebites.com) for the following:
- Gender – because we have many international participants we don’t always recognise first names as male or female
- Moodle version – that the user is currently using
There are many potential uses for additional user profile fields such as:
- In a corporate environment you might add a field for identifying departments
- In a multi-site organisation you could have a field with the users office location
- In a school site you could have the student’s favourite sport
Essentially the purpose of additional user profile fields is only limited by your imagination, and the type of information that would enhance a users profile, for themselves and others.
It’s also possible to filter and query by these values, so that opens up a whole new area of potential use too !
Latest posts by Stuart Mealor (see all)
- Audio and Video – native recording in Moodle editor – 26th September 2018
- Moodle tech tip – Global Search – 19th September 2018
- Moodle (not plugin) of the month – Cohort Theme – 12th September 2018