The previous article in this series looked at how you can access and use the Grader Report in Moodle. We continue this theme by now looking at the Grade History report. Here we will discuss what the Grade History report is, how to access it, what data it contains and how you could use it.
We will again be using the Moodle Demo site for the examples in this article. Your site will look different and you may need to tweak some of the steps provided to extract the same data. You should still be able to follow these steps for accessing the Grade History data.
The Grade History report shows you the Grade History of selected students across a given range of dates. You can view the original grade, revised grade, who the grader was, and any feedback provided to the student. Downloading this report data could be useful for auditing purposes or for checking the grades of specific students.
Extracting grade history
You can access the Grade History report as follows:
Navigate to the course you wish to analyse and click on Grades in the left menu.
In the Dropdown menu (1) select Grade History (2).
You can edit the following to filter the data you pull down:
- Users you want to include in the report
- Grade items to include in the report (one specific grade item or all grade items)
- Grader to include in the report (one specific grader or all graders)
- Start date and an end date for the report
- Whether to include only revised grades.
Make your filtering selections and then click Submit (1).
Download the data by selecting the desired file format from the Download table data as dropdown box (1) and then clicking Download (2).
You will have downloaded a .xlsx file with the Grade History as per your filtering. Each row will be a single grade item for a single user. The extracted data will include the following columns:
- Date and time
- Email address
- Grade item
- Original grade
- Revised grade
- Feedback text.
Using the data
Think about how you might use this data before reading on. What could the data tell you? What questions could you answer with this data? Jot down some ideas before continuing.
The Grade History report could be useful for completing analysis on student grades or grades by grade item. You could use it for the following purposes:
- Extracting a grade report for a specific student
- Seeing which graders are grading the most assessments
- Identifying grades that have been overridden or locked
- Auditing the grading of specific students or graders
- Determining the grading load on each grader
- Checking the feedback that is provided to students
- Tracking the number of grade items graded over a specific period or looking for trends in when grade items are graded.
Have a go at pulling down the Grade History data from one of your courses and try running some analysis on it. How could you use this information to improve outcomes for your students? How could you use it to support your graders?
In this article we have looked at how we can pull down Grade History data from a course and presented some options for analysing the data. In the next article we will take a look at the Ad-hoc database queries plugin which allows you to extract detailed information from your Moodle installation.
You can view the previous posts in this series here: