Some new accessibility features in Moodle 3.9…
If accessibility is an important part of your Moodle LMS implementation then these small changes in Moodle 3.9 are very worthwhile and welcome:
- MDL-68542 – Change the bold plugin to use strong tags instead of b for accessibility
- MDL-68541 – Limit the image description length and improve the alt text string
- MDL-68548 – Change the italics plugin to use em tags instead of i for accessibility
- MDL-68378 – Create an accessible change event
- MDL-68551 – Change the strikethrough plugin to use del tags instead of strike for accessibility
- MDL-67874 – Improve the contrast of browser focus outline
- MDL-68299 – Improve UI accessibility on small view ports
Certainly the ‘more correct’ use of <strong>, <em>, and <del> tags is a bonus for screen readers, and the other items each make a small but important contribution to the overall accessibility rating of Moodle.
When you Moodle site is upgraded to version 3.9 you have the benefit of all these relatively small changes, but each of them makes a valuable contribution to the overall accessibility of your Moodle site and courses.