Do you use RSS feeds in your Moodle course?
RSS is Really Simple Syndication – and it allows you to add news feeds and suchlike to your Moodle courses. These can be from general sources, in indeed very specific to your course subject.
Feeds updated automatically, and are displayed in a Block, with a link to the full article (much like a Twitter or Facebook feed on your smartphone).
For example the BBC provide many news feeds such as:
- World News http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/world/rss.xml?edition=uk
- Education http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/education/rss.xml?edition=uk
- Technology http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/technology/rss.xml?edition=uk
If your course subject is geography for example, you could add feeds from a variety of sources such as:
- Earth Science https://www.brightsurf.com/news/rss/earth_science/geography/rss.geography.html
- National Geographic feed://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/rss.xml
Moodle Docs for RSS feeds is a great place to start reading:
Latest posts by Stuart Mealor (see all)
- Tech Talk – Moodle Messages table clean-up – 19th July 2018
- Moodle Mobile App 3.5 – two major new features – 14th July 2018
- Moodle plugin of the month – Cohort membership based on Profile field – 12th July 2018