Moodle plugin of the month – course Dedication
Do you want to know how much time learners have spent in their course?
How dedication time is estimated?
Time is estimated based in the concepts of Session and Session duration applied to Moodle’s log entries:
- Click: every time that a user access to a page in Moodle a log entry is stored.
- Session: set of two or more consecutive clicks in which the elapsed time between every pair of consecutive clicks does not overcome an established maximum time.
- Session duration: elapsed time between the first and the last click of the session.
This block is intended to be used only by teachers, so students aren’t going to see it and their dedication time. However, block can be configured to show dedication time to students too.
Teachers can use a tool to analyse dedication time within a course. The tool provides three views:
- Dedication time of the course: calculates total dedication time, mean dedication time and connections per day for each student.
- Dedication time of a group: the same but only for choosed group members.
- Dedication of a student: detailed sessions for a student with start date & time, duration and ip.
The Dedication Block plugin is available in the Moodle plugins database:
You can also try the Dedication Block for real, for free, on the HRDNZ Moodle plugins site:
- Moodle 4.0 – 15th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 other highlights – 14th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 Accessibility – 9th May 2022
2 thoughts on “Moodle plugin of the month – course Dedication”
Hi, I have installed the plugin (in moodle 3.11) but am unable to find it. Where do I locate it?
It’s a Block.
So if you have installed correctly it should be in the Blocks folder – check there.
If it’s installed it would be a new Block to add on the course page.