Moodle plugin of the month, H5P migration
A Moodle plugin that can help migrating to Moodle 3.9.
If your Moodle site has been using H5P for some time, it’s likely you used the H5P plugin from Joubel.
Moodle 3.9 now has an H5P implementation in core, maintained by Moodle HQ.
See other posts regarding the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Of course, you do not want a situation of having both the H5P core functions in Moodle AND the H5P plugin – that would be very confusing for teachers !
So this plugin can migrate H5P content that was added using the Joubel H5P plugin and convert it to the standard Moodle H5P core system.
Administrators should note that there have been some problems wit this migration reported by users. So you should definitely have a backup of your site before using this plugin.
The plugin can be used from with the Moodle GUI, or via the Command Line Interface (CLI) for those admins comfortable with this.
There are limitations too, including:
- It’s not possible to save the current status with the mod_h5pactivity. The mod_hvp supports it (although it’s disabled by default) so, before migrating the activities, consider students might loose these unfinished attempts.
- The new mod_h5pactivity hasn’t any global settings to define the default behaviour so general settings defined in mod_hvp, such as the default display options or whether to use or not the hub, are not migrated.
- The new mod_h5pactivity doesn’t support (at least for now), H5P styles (hvp_alter_styles).
Make sure you read through the documentation for this plugin:
…and test the migration on a backup site if you can !
Do you know you can read about and test almost 100 of the most useful and popular Moodle plugins on our https://plugins.moodlebites.com site, completely free !
- Moodle 4.0 – 15th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 other highlights – 14th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 Accessibility – 9th May 2022
2 thoughts on “Moodle plugin of the month, H5P migration”
Very useful info! When I migrated to 3.9, it was a big problem with H5P, so I had to re-upload all H5P content 🙁
Yes, it’s very useful.
But not enough people know about it yet 🙁