In a recent blog post, “Wow, Hot Potatoes had a Facelift”, I provided a few reasons why language educators should consider using Hot Potatoes to create learning opportunities for their classes. After becoming familiar with more contemporary authoring tools such as H5P, I have been wondering how many teacher-developers are considering retiring or have retired their Hot Potatoes software. After all, Hot Potatoes has not been supported or updated by Half Baked Software since 2009.
I had been continuously developing Hot Potatoes learning objects, LOs, until 2014 and turned to alternate solutions. After Stan Bogdanov’s Hot Potatoes Facelift in 2016, I started generating Hot Potatoes learning objects for an English for Specific Purposes project. The client was satisfied with the learning objects. They were adopted into a series of courses as assessments and formative activities.
I still use Hot Potatoes at times because:
- of the responsive display
- it publishes to SCORM format
- of the ability manipulate LOs with HTML code
- I have access to an archive of Hot Pot LOs that can be quickly updated
- Hot Pot LOs are easy for learners to use
- the Masher feature allows for unlimited combinations of learning events within an LO
- they can be published directly into Moodle with the HotPot plug in
Over the past two years, H5P has become my tool of choice for LO development. Sooner or later I will stop making Hot Potatoes LOs, but for now I am still going to use them when they provide a suitable purpose. In the resource links below, there are several useful links for those curious about Hot Potatoes. Is there anyone else who still uses Hot Potatoes out there? I’d like to hear your comments. Don’t be shy, I have been called a dinosaur on more than one occasion. 🙂
Hacking Hot Potatoes: The Cookbook, Stan Bogdanov. (2013). http://hotpot.ewbooks.info
Hot Potatoes, University of Victoria/ Half Baked Software – http://hotpot.uvic.ca
Hot Potatoes: Download – Hot Potatoes 6.3 installer (Hot Potatoes for Windows version 6.3).
Hot Potatoes Add-ons – http://ewbooks.info/hotpot/add-ons
Facelift Responsive v1.3 http://ewbooks.info/hotpot/assets/files/Facelift_Responsive.zip
Hot Potatoes Tutorials, Stan Bogdanov – http://ewbooks.info/hotpot/tutorials
Hot Potatoes Tutorials, University of Victoria – http://hotpot.uvic.ca/tutorials6.php
Hot Potatoes Manual, University of Victoria – https://hotpot.uvic.ca/hotpot6_help.pdf
Hot Potatoes How To for Teachers, John Allan – http://bit.ly/2lgAwQN
- Teachers, control your online videos – 13th October 2021
- Instructors, Systematically Improve Your Online courses – 13th September 2021
- Instructors, Improve Accessibility on Your Moodle Courses (3.10) – 13th July 2021