Moodle 3.8 Classic Theme
Classic is a new Moodle 3.8 theme that combines Clean theme blocks and elements of the Boost Theme.
If you have upgraded to Moodle 3.8, or will do so this year, it’s worth noting that the Clean and More Themes have been removed from Moodle core (although they are available as plugins for now).
The Classic theme is a child theme (dependent) of Boost, using Bootstrap 4 technology, with a general look inspired by the Clean theme. For the techies amongst you, the amount of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) added on top of the Boost theme CSS has been kept to a minimum.
The Classic theme provides a number of customisation options including:
- Invert navbar colour
- This changes the navigation bar background colour to the brand colour. By default, it is set to blue. Links and icons will be shown in a shade of white/grey.
- Moodle presets are files containing a list of custom Bootstrap variables and raw SCSS that can be used to customise themes. The Classic theme uses the exact same preset structure as Boost, so preset files can be reused.
- Background image
- The theme allows setting a background image, which is used on all pages.
- Brand colour
- The brand colour is used as the default colour for the inverted navigation bar, background colour, links and buttons – so it’s a quick way to match your main company colour scheme.
It’s not the most flexible of Themes, but it does allows sites that prefer a simple Theme to transition from the Clean Theme to a more modern style, without the minimalistic and quite different Boost Theme.
- Moodle 4.0 – 15th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 other highlights – 14th May 2022
- Moodle 4.0 Accessibility – 9th May 2022