Following up on the March 13th post, H5P’s Course Presentation feature, I’d like to suggest that you consider another powerful learning object development tool from the H5P menu. The Column feature has three superpowers including:
- The learning objects are presented in a responsive columnar, format that is provides fluid navigation for learning with mobile devices.
- Currently, it allows developers to include 26 unique tools in one activity.
- The complete Course Presentation feature can be embedded in a Column which offers more for the potential activities within a Column learning object.
We have recently been focusing on the Columns feature as our clients required B.Y.O.T. solutions for their learners who use Moodle. H5P Column learning opportunities, imported into or developed within Moodle, display nicely when the Moodle Navigation Drawer is collapsed.
The H5P site provides a Column activity example if you want to see how it functions and appears on different devices. We created a simple example activity about ice hockey without any bells and whistles as a demonstration for our client.
A learning objects created with the Columns feature can include the following utilities:
- Appear.in for Chat and Talk
- Cloze (fill in the blanks)
- Course Presentation
- Documentation Tool
- Drag and drop images
- Drag and drop text
- Iframe Embedder
- Image Hotspots
- Find the Hotspot
- Interactive video
- Mark the Words
- Memory Game
- Multiple Choice
- Single Choice
- Interactive Summary
- True or False Question
- Twitter User feeds
If you want to provide students with a theme or a unit of content, then the H5P Columns feature may be a solution. There are ample activities that can be used via the H5P website or with a Moodle course. To familiarize yourself with the H5P Column feature you can have a look at the H5P Column Example and download the activity to your H5P account page. If a step by step guide is required, you can try this activity to become familiar with the basics of developing an H5P Column basic development.
If you have tried the Column feature and have any advice for the community, please comment below.
- WAI’s Easy Checks to Start Moving Toward Digital Accessibility – 13th October 2022
- Repurpose, reuse, recycle or customize H5P learning objects – 12th September 2022
- Teaching writing? Try these H5P Tools. – 13th August 2022